FORTRON completely changed the industry’s prior view of polyphenylene sulfide (PPS) as being a brittle material. FORTRON is firmly establishing a base as a new type of PPS resin that overcomes this brittleness. This is because while traditional PPS has a partially cross linked molecular structure, FORTRON possesses a non-cross linked linear structure.
Needless to say, FORTRON is superior in its heat resistance, flame retardance, and chemical resistance, and it also contains only very low levels of ionic impurities and exhibits superior solderability. These properties are seeing growth for FORTRON continue centered on demanding electronic component applications.
- Mechanical strength is exceedingly high, with flexural strength in particular exhibiting a high value, Excellent elastic recovery is also possessed.
- Possesses high toughness, while high values are also exhibited for compression and shear characteristics.
- Possesses superior creep characteristics even under high temperatures and loads. In addition, possesses superior fatigue resistance to repetitive stresses.
- Elongation and impact strength are high, and brittleness, a major drawback of traditional PPS, has been improved significantly.
- Can withstand immersion in 260°C solder bath for 10 s, making the resin more than able to cope with electronic component surface mount technologies.
- Ionic impurities are low, and application is possible in applications where strict electrical properties are demanded.
- Little change in volume resistivity is shown over time, and there is almost no change in dielectric constant due to frequency or temperature. These characteristics make it an excellent insulative material.
- Weld strength is high, and superior secondary processability (screws, insertion, etc.) is exhibited.
Applications are not limited to electronic components. FORTRON’s superior properties are being exploited in automotive parts such as lamp sockets, water pumps, and various auto electrical components, as well as in mechanical parts for OA and AV equipment. Still more growth is anticipated for FORTRON centered on auto electrical components and housing applications.